I need to....
Summer Term 2022 Services Information
The Learning Commons brings together academic learning supports to help students with areas such as writing, library research, citing, time management, study skills, exam preparation, English language support, career planning and much more. Remember we are still very much here to support students’ academic success through our on-demand and bookable virtual services (e.g., via chat or zoom), online workshops and online tutorials, especially SPARK. Connect with us today!
For more service information, including links for online drop-in services, in-person service information, availability of bookable online consultations, and other types of partner services on offer, follow the links below:
- Libraries - Research Help
- Writing Centre
- ESL Open Learning Center (OLC)
- Learning Skills Services
- Career Education & Development
Libraries - Research Help
In-Person Research Help
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday to Friday
- Location: Scott Library, 1st Floor Desk
- All York students and faculty can avail of this service
Virtual Drop-In Services
- On-demand interactive chat
- A virtual chat and texting service staffed by librarians from most Ontario Universities including York University
- Bookable virtual consultations with subject and data librarians
- E-mail assistance
- FAQ Service – browsable and searchable with Submit A Question feature
Virtual Drop-In Services
Zoom drop-in services with writing tutors commence the week of May 16th 2022.
Visit Drop-In Sessions on the Writing Centre's web site, for information about writing instructors' names, times of availability, and Zoom links, to get drop-in help with your writing this Summer term!
The Writing Centre’s Welcome video introduces you to services and programs available:
Other Writing Centre Services
- Bookable one-on-one consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in, and make sure to check out this handy FAQ with tips on this one-to-one writing support.
- Online Workshops: The WC will offer online, synchronous workshops on topics such as idea generation, generating a good thesis, and organizing your paper
- LA&PS Digital Dissertation Writing Group Cafes: This very popular eleven-week Café is designed to help PhD students in LA&PS make writing progress, connect to a larger writing community and stay focused/return focus on their dissertations.
- Online Resources: Consult this page for Writing Centre resources, such as helpful videos, online guides and tips to help you with writing and researching for academic assignments
ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC)
For detailed step-by-step instructions on how to register, access schedules, and book a session, check out this easy to follow video:
ESL OLC Services
- Individual consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments, personalized for English language support, and available in-person and through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in.
- Small group appointments: 50 minute appointments are available through online video chat and in-person and can be made for groups of up to six students and one ESL OLC language facilitator. Students can get support with their writing, listening, speaking, and/or reading assignments, as well as practice their presentations.
- Theme Classes/Workshop: 50 minute workshops are available online and can be made for groups of up to twenty students and one ESL OLC language facilitator on common interest areas. Examples of theme covered include pronunciation, discussion skills, grammar, writing, listening and/or reading strategies.
- ESL Café: 50 minute informal conversation sessions are available online and can be made for groups of up to 13 students. Join to discuss discuss interesting topics designed by OLC facilitators to practice your oral communication skills.
Learning Skills Services
Summer Term 2022: Learning Skills Services are offering the following online services and resources to students:
- Online Workshops: See current calendar posted for times and topics. Earn a Passport to Success.
- Student Guide to Remote and Online Learning
- Online Learning Skills Resources: Visit our website for tips, videos, worksheets and more.
Career Education & Development
- Career Lounge: Career Peer Educators are available on a drop-in basis during posted hours Monday to Friday to answer any career-related questions.
Other Career Education & Development Services/Resources
- 1-on-1 Appointments with a Career Counsellor for Career Counselling, and/or Career Educator for Job Search Support.
- Online Workshops and Group Activities: Interactive webinars on a broad range of career relevant topics – registration required through Experience York)
- Career Conversation Panels: Register for virtual discussions via Zoom to get advice from alumni and professionals working in the field
- Career Education & Development’s Online Learning Modules (eClass): Online learning modules designed to help support students’ career development.
- FAQ: Career Education & Development During Covid-19: Resources to help with career development and job searching during uncertain times.