I need to....
Learning Commons Services Information
The Learning Commons brings together academic learning supports to help students with areas such as writing, library research, citing, time management, study skills, exam preparation, English language support, numeracy and math support, career planning and much more. We support students’ academic success through our on-demand and bookable services, online workshops and online tutorials, especially SPARK. Connect with us today!
For more information, including links for drop-in services, availability of bookable online consultations, and other types of partner services, follow the links below:
- Libraries - Research Help
- Writing Centre
- ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC)
- Learning Skills Services
- Career Education & Development
- Student Numeracy Assistance Centre at Keele (SNACK) - Numeracy & Math Help
- Health Education & Promotion
Libraries - Research Help
Fall 2023 In-Person Research Help (starting Tuesday September 5)
- Hours: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Thursday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Friday
- Location: Scott Library, 1st Floor Research Help Desk
- In-person research help is also available at our Bronfman and Frost branches
Virtual Drop-In Services
- Bookable virtual consultations with subject and data librarians
- E-mail assistance
- FAQ Service – browsable and searchable with Submit A Question feature
In-Person and Virtual Drop-In Services
The Writing Centre’s Welcome video introduces you to services and programs available:
Other Writing Centre Services
- Bookable one-on-one consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in, and make sure to check out this handy FAQ with tips on this one-to-one writing support.
- Online Workshops: The WC will offer online, synchronous workshops on topics such as idea generation, generating a good thesis, and organizing your paper
- LA&PS Digital Dissertation Writing Group Cafes: This very popular eleven-week Café is designed to help PhD students in LA&PS make writing progress, connect to a larger writing community and stay focused/return focus on their dissertations.
- Online Resources: Consult this page for Writing Centre resources, such as helpful videos, online guides and tips to help you with writing and researching for academic assignments.
ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC)
ESL OLC Schedule & Services
Fall 2023: Mondays - 9 am - 7 pm; Fridays, 9 am - 5 pm. For detailed information, please see the weekly schedule on our online booking platform.
The ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC) supports multilingual students at York University while enhancing their academic English skills. The following services are provided by the ESL OLC.
Individual tutoring sessions: 50-minutes-long appointments (Writing Instruction & Assignment Help), personalized for English language support (writing, reading, listening, speaking, and so on), and available in-person and through online video chat.
Theme Classes: 50-minutes-long theme classes enhance your academic English skills through interactive collaborative activities. Theme classes are available face-to-face and online. You will be working in small groups of up to six (6) students and one ESL OLC language facilitator. Some of the themes include academic reading, discussion and listening strategies, pronunciation, presentation and communication skills, academic conventions, and grammar.
ESL Café: 50-minutes-long informal conversation sessions help you enhance your academic communication and critical thinking skills. ESL Café sessions are available in-person and through online video chat. In groups of up to 10 students you will engage in guided academic discussions and debates covering a range of relevant topics of interest.
To book an online or in-person appointment with the ESL OLC, log in to the online platform with your Passport York credentials, select ESL OLC Writing Instruction and ESL OLC Language Facilitation (for Assignment Help and Theme Classes).
For detailed step-by-step instructions on how to book an appointment and see the schedule, please watch this video:
Learning Skills Services
Summer 2023 - Closed
Learning Skills In-Person Learning Commons Services & Schedule
Looking for information about study strategies? The Learning Commons is here to help!
We can answer your questions directly or refer you to the right resource on campus for your needs. Even if you don't have a question, we welcome you to stop by to say hello, play a short game with us and learn more about the Learning Commons.
Times and Dates:
- Online Workshops: See current calendar posted for times and topics. Earn a Passport to Success.
- Student Guide to Remote and Online Learning
- Online Learning Skills Resources: Visit our website for tips, videos, worksheets and more.
Summer 2023 - Closed
CED In-Person Learning Commons Services & Schedule
Do you have questions about your career? Drop-in to speak with a Client Service Representative and Career Peer Educators from Career Centre who can help you answer questions about registering for events/workshops, making individual appointments, and navigating the Experience York website.
Times and Dates: Friday 12pm-3pm
Location: 202 McLaughlin College
- Career Lounge: Career Peer Educators are available on a drop-in basis to answer any career-related questions. Please check our website for Lounge hours.
Other Career Centre Services/Resources
- 1-on-1 Appointments with a Career Counsellor for Career Counselling, and/or Career Educator for Job Search Support.
- Online Workshops and Group Activities: Interactive webinars on a broad range of career relevant topics – registration required through Experience York)
- Career Conversation Panels: Register for virtual discussions via Zoom to get advice from alumni and professionals working in the field
- Career Centre’s Online Learning Modules (eClass): Online learning modules designed to help support students’ career development.
- FAQ: Career Centre During Covid-19: Resources to help with career development and job searching during uncertain times.
Student Numeracy Assistance Centre at Keele (SNACK) - Numeracy & Math Help
Open for the summer term
- In person drop-in hours:
Drop-in virtually to receive numeracy assistance from one of the Peer Tutors, available to help students with numeracy based courses that include math, stats, or software such as JAVA and Excel.
Other SNACK Services/Resources
Virtual Drop-in Tutoring is also available. Consult this website for information on days and times when tutoring is available, and the names of relevant tutors.
Health Education & Promotion
Summer 2023 - Closed
Health Education and Promotion provides York University students with person-centered, health and well-being support through education, empowerment, and access while working towards supplying students with the skills to foster balanced and sustainable choices regarding their health and well-being.
- Autonomy – We aim to support individual choices of students by providing them access to education, knowledge, and resources to make informed decisions for their health and well-being.
- Collaboration – We value collaborating with on campus and community partners to build long lasting relationships and connections within various sectors of health.
- Reliability - Promoting reliable health resources and information to ensure that our messages reference reputable research and solutions.
- Diversity - By fostering a student-centric model, we recognize the diverse lifestyles and experiences of our student body and aim to welcome and empower students of all identities, backgrounds, and demographics.
During in-person tabling, Peer Health Educators promote health and well-being tips and information, connect with the student body on York’s campus, share resources and prizes with students to engage with, promote upcoming events, trainings and services, and provide students a space to connect with peers by active listening.
Location & Time:
- Wellness Hub S107 Ross – Mondays, 1.00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Vari Hall Kiosk – Thursdays, 1.00 p.m. - 2.00 p.m.
Online Programming & Resources: See current calendar posted for times and topics
Social Media: https://www.instagram.com/studentlifeyu/
Event Calendar for Online Health Ed Workshops: https://counselling.students.yorku.ca/health-education/events
SCHW Resources and Services: https://counselling.students.yorku.ca/