Our Learning Commons Chat service launches soon (Week of September 20th, 2021)!
I need to....
Fall Term 2021 Services Information
The Learning Commons brings together academic learning supports to help students with areas such as writing, library research, citing, time management, study skills, exam preparation, English language support, career planning and much more. Remember we are still very much here to support students’ academic success through our on-demand and bookable virtual services (e.g., via chat or zoom), online workshops and online tutorials, especially SPARK. Connect with us today!
For more service information, including zoom or chat links for drop-in services, and other types of partner services on offer, follow the links below:
- Learning Commons Virtual Welcome Desk
- Libraries - Research Help
- Writing Centre
- ESL Open Learning Center (OLC)
- Learning Skills Services
- Career Education & Development
Learning Commons Virtual Welcome Desk
If you are unsure of where to find help for your specific needs, the Learning Commons Virtual Welcome Desk is the place to start! This service is a convenient first check-in point with friendly and well-informed Learning Skills Services Peers. The Learning Skills Peers will help you directly or refer you to the Learning Commons resource or service best suited to your needs.
Success tip: The Virtual Welcome Desk is offered through instant chat. This chat platform features Zoom integration with a screen-sharing option.
This service will launch the week of September 20th, 2021!
Hours: Monday to Friday: 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Libraries - Research Help
Virtual Drop-In Services
- On-demand interactive chat (including text chat and screensharing/audio)
- A virtual chat and texting service staffed by librarians from most Ontario Universities including York University
- Bookable virtual consultations with subject and data librarians
- E-mail assistance
- FAQ Service – browsable and searchable with Submit A Question feature
Virtual Drop-In Services
Sessions are 15 minutes with a writing tutor. If more than one student is waiting for help, a queueing system will be in place using the Zoom waiting room feature.
Fall Term Hours [September 27 to December 10]
- Mondays - Peter Unwin: 1:30 pm - 3:20 pm [zoom link information coming]
- Tuesdays - Mat Laporte: 1:30 pm - 3:20 pm [zoom link information coming]
- Wednesday - Lori Turner: 12:30 pm - 3:20 pm [zoom link information coming]
- Thursdays - Lori Turner: 12:30 pm - 3:20 pm [zoom link information coming]
- Saturdays - Lori Turner: 12:00 pm - 1:50 pm [zoom link information coming]
The Writing Centre’s Welcome video introduces you to services and programs available:
Other Writing Centre Services
- Bookable interactive chat consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in, and make sure to check out this handy FAQ with tips on this one-to-one writing support.
- Online Workshops: The WC will offer online, synchronous workshops on topics such as idea generation, generating a good thesis, and organizing your paper
- LA&PS Digital Dissertation Writing Group Cafes: This very popular eleven-week Café is designed to help PhD students in LA&PS make writing progress, connect to a larger writing community and stay focused/return focus on their dissertations.
- Online Resources: Consult this page for Writing Centre resources, such as helpful videos, online guides and tips to help you with writing and researching for academic assignments
ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC)
For detailed step-by-step instructions on how to register, access schedules, and book a session, check out this easy to follow video:
ESL OLC Services
- Individual consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments, personalized for English language support, and available through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in. When booking make sure to select the option of “ESL OLC Writing Instruction” to get a booking with an ESL OLC tutor. For more information on making a booking, watch this video posted on the ESL OLC website
- Small group appointments: 50 minute appointments are available through online video chat and in-person and can be made for groups of up to six students and one ESL OLC language facilitator. Students can get support with their writing, listening, speaking, and/or reading assignments, as well as practice their presentations. No editing. Enrol first to use this service. When booking an appointment, make sure to select the option of "ESL OLC Language Facilitation" and select time slots marked as Assignment Help or Presentation Practice to get a booking with an ESL OLC language facilitator.
- Theme Classes/Workshop: 50 minute workshops are available online and can be made for groups of up to twenty students and one ESL OLC language facilitator on common interest areas. Examples of theme covered include pronunciation, discussion skills, grammar, writing, listening and/or reading strategies.
- ESL Café: 50 minute informal conversation sessions are available online and can be made for groups of up to 13 students. Join to discuss discuss interesting topics designed by OLC facilitators to practice your oral communication skills.
Learning Skills Services
Fall Term Dates: Learning Skills Services are offering the following online services and resources to students during Fall 2021 from the week of September 13th.
- Online Workshops: See current calendar posted for times and topics. Earn a Passport to Success.
- Learning Commons Virtual Welcome Desk
- Peer Academic Coaching Appointments
- Student Guide to Remote and Online Learning
- Online Learning Skills Resources: Visit our website for tips, videos, worksheets and more.
Career Education & Development
- Virtual Career Lounge: Career Peer Educators are available on a drop-in basis during posted hours Monday to Friday to answer any career-related questions
- Career Corner: Ask the Pros: Thematic drop in Zoom meetings with career experts on popular career topics offered daily. Check out the calendar linked here for details.
Other Career Education & Development Services/Resources
- 1-on-1 Appointments with a Career Counsellor for Career Counselling, and/or Career Educator for Job Search Support.
- Online Workshops and Group Activities: Interactive webinars on a broad range of career relevant topics – registration required through Experience York)
- Career Education & Development’s Online Learning Modules (eClass): Online learning modules designed to help support students’ career development.
- FAQ: Career Education & Development During Covid-19: Resources to help with career development and job searching during uncertain times.