Learning Commons Chat is closed/unavailable until Fall 2021
- YU Got This! Academic Tips & Tools for End of Term
- Student Guide to Group Work
- Learning Commons Orientation Video
- Learning Commons FAQs
I need to....
Winter Term 2021 Services Information
The Learning Commons brings together academic learning supports to help students with areas such as writing, library research, citing, time management, study skills, exam preparation, English language support, career planning and much more. Remember we are still very much here to support students’ academic success through our on-demand and bookable virtual services (e.g., via chat or zoom), online workshops and online tutorials, especially SPARK. Connect with us Online Today!
- Virtual Welcome Desk
- Libraries - Research Help
- Writing Centre
- ESL Open Learning Center (OLC)
- Learning Skills Services
- Career Centre Services
For more service information, including zoom or chat links for drop-in services, and other types of partner services on offer, follow the links above.
Virtual Welcome Desk
Come here for help navigating the Learning Commons! Our friendly Learning Skills peers will help you directly or refer you to the Learning Commons resource or service best suited to your needs. See the chat widget in the top left area of this web site to connect during posted hours!
Winter 2021 Hours
- Monday to Friday : 1:00pm - 3:00pm.
- No session available on Wednesday, April 7th.
- Monday, April 12th is the last day of service for the winter term.
Libraries - Research Help
Virtual Drop-In Services
- On-demand interactive chat (including text chat and Zoom integration)
- A virtual chat and texting service staffed by librarians from most Ontario Universities including York University
- Bookable virtual consultations with subject and data librarians
- E-mail assistance
- FAQ Service – browsable and searchable with Submit A Question feature
Virtual Drop-In Services
Winter Term Dates:
- Afternoon sessions finished on April 5.
- Morning sessions finished on April 2
Sessions are 15 minutes with a writing tutor. If more than one student is waiting for help, a queueing system will be in place using the Zoom waiting room feature.
Other Writing Centre Services
- Bookable interactive chat consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in, and make sure to check out this handy FAQ with tips on this one-to-one writing support.
- Online Workshops: The WC will offer online, synchronous workshops on topics such as idea generation, generating a good thesis, and organizing your paper
- Multilingual Studio: Provides a supportive learning environment for multilingual students to explore the formal and technical components of academic discourse and the ways their own linguistic knowledge contributes to this process. Contact James Robertson at email@example.com for more information
- LA&PS Digital Dissertation Writing Group Cafes: This very popular eleven-week Café is designed to help PhD students in LA&PS make writing progress, connect to a larger writing community and stay focused/return focus on their dissertations.
- eClass Q&A and Online Resources: Consult this page for Writing Centre workshop resources, as well as online guides and tips to help you with writing and researching for academic assignments
ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC)
Virtual Drop-In Services
Winter Term Dates: January 19 - April 17, excluding Reading Week, Feb. 13 - 19
If more than one student is waiting for help, a queueing system will be in place using the Zoom waiting room feature.
- Tuesday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm [Zoom link to connect]
- Thursday: 10:00am - 12:00pm [Zoom link to connect]
- Friday: 1:00pm - 3:00pm [Zoom link to connect]
Other ESL OLC Services
- Bookable online video chat consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments, personalized for english language support, and available through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in. When booking make sure to select the option of “language facilitation” to get a booking with an ESL OLC tutor. For more information on making a booking, watch this video posted on the ESL OLC website
- Drop-in: 20 minute drop-in appointments will be offered for english language support
- Group appointments: Can be made for groups of up to six students and one ESL OLC language facilitator on common interest areas. Examples of themes covered include pronunciation, discussion skills, writing, listening and/or reading. No editing. Enrol first to use this service
- Themed Small Group Services: Sessions on themes such as assignment help, presentation practice and grammar help.
Learning Skills Services
Winter Term Dates: Learning Skills Services are offering the following online services and resources to students during Winter 2021 from the week of January 11:
- Online Peer Academic Coaching appointments
- Online Workshops: See current calendar posted for times and topics. Earn a Passport to Success.
- Student Guide to Remote Learning
- COVID-19 Wellbeing Resources
Career Centre Services
- Virtual Career Lounge: Career Peer Educators are available on a drop-in basis during posted hours Monday to Friday to answer any career-related questions
- Career Corner: Ask the Pros: Thematic drop in Zoom meetings with career experts on popular career topics offered daily. Check out the calendar linked here for details.
Other Career Centre Services
- 1-on-1 Appointments with a Career Counsellor 20 minutes for the first appointment and additional sessions are 50 minutes.
- Online Workshops and Group Activities: Interactive webinars on a broad range of career relevant topics – registration required through Experience York)
- Career Centre’s Online Learning Modules (eClass): Online learning modules designed to help support students’ career development.
- FAQ: Career Centre Services During Covid-19: Resources to help with career development and job searching during uncertain times.