Fall Services Information
The Learning Commons brings together academic learning supports to help students with areas such as writing, library research, citing, time management, study skills, exam preparation, English language support, career planning and much more. Remember we are still very much here to support students’ academic success through our on-demand and bookable virtual services (e.g., via chat or zoom), online webinars, and online tutorials, especially SPARK. Connect with us Online Today!
Check out our Learning Commons Virtual Drop-In Services Schedule! For more service information consult the links shown above.
Virtual Welcome Desk
Fall 2020 Hours
- Monday to Friday : 1:00pm – 3:00pm. See the chat widget in the top right menu area of this web site to connect!Come here for help navigating the Learning Commons. Our friendly Learning Skills peers will help you directly or refer you to the Learning Commons resource or service best suited to your needs.
Libraries – Research Help
For links to all our services check out our Ask A Question web site or see our virtual hours web site for when available.
Virtual Drop-In Services
Libraries web site | Library Services During Covid-19
Virtual Drop-In Services to Dec 18 2020
Sessions are 15 minutes with a writing tutor. If more than one student is waiting for help, a queueing system will be in place using the Zoom waiting room feature.
Other Writing Centre Services
- Bookable interactive chat consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in, and make sure to check out this handy FAQ with tips on this one-to-one writing support.
- Online Workshops: The WC will offer online, synchronous workshops on topics such as idea generation, generating a good thesis, and organizing your paper
- Multilingual Studio: Provides a supportive learning environment for multilingual students to explore the formal and technical components of academic discourse and the ways their own linguistic knowledge contributes to this process. Contact James Robertson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- LA&PS Digital Dissertation Writing Group Cafes: This very popular eleven-week Café is designed to help PhD students in LA&PS make writing progress, connect to a larger writing community and stay focused/return focus on their dissertations.
- eClass Q&A and Online Resources: Consult this page for Writing Centre workshop resources, as well as online guides and tips to help you with writing and researching for academic assignments
At the Writing Centre (S311 Ross)
ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC)
Virtual Drop-In Services to Dec 18 2020
If more than one student is waiting for help, a queueing system will be in place using the Zoom waiting room feature.
Other ESL OLC Services
- Bookable online video chat consultations: 50 minute one-to-one appointments, personalized for english language support, and available through online video chat. Make sure to enrol first by registering (first-time users) or logging in. When booking make sure to select the option of “language facilitation” to get a booking with an ESL OLC tutor
- Drop-in: 20 minute drop-in appointments will be offered for english language support
- Group appointments: Can be made for groups of up to six students and one ESL OLC language facilitator on common interest areas. Examples of themes covered include pronunciation, discussion skills, writing, listening and/or reading. No editing. Enrol first to use this service
- Themed Small Group Services: Sessions on themes such as assignment help, presentation practice and grammar help.
ESL Open Learning Centre Homepage
Learning Skills Services
Learning Skills Services are offering the following online services and resources to students during Fall 2020:
Career Centre Services
- Virtual Career Lounge: Career Peer Educators are available on a drop-in basis during posted hours Monday to Friday to answer any career-related questions
- Career Corner: Ask the Pros: Thematic drop in Zoom meetings with career experts on popular career topics offered daily. Check out the calendar linked here for details.
Other Career Centre Services
Career Centre Homepage